If you are a fan of the Aperol Spritz, then you will absolutely love this Spritz Veneziano or Venetian Spritz. Made using Select, a Venetian spirit with notes of vanilla, citrus and juniper, as well as bubbly Prosecco and crisp tonic water, this is the perfect summertime cocktail!
There’s nothing better than a refreshing cocktail on a hot day! I love being able to mix up a delicious drink anytime the mood strikes, whether it is a cocktail like this Spritz Veneziano recipe or a mocktail like this Blueberry Mojito.
If you enjoy the flavor of Aperol, not only will you love this recipe, but you will also enjoy this Campari Tonic or, if you’re looking for something with a little more bubbles, try this Limoncello Spritz.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It is unique. You’re bound to impress your friends and family with this simple yet delicious Italian aperitif.
- It is easy. Requiring just 4 simple ingredients, you can whip this cocktail up in a flash.
- It is refreshing. The perfect boozy beverage for warmer days!
- It is versatile. Whether you’re drinking solo or having guests over, this cocktail can be made into a pitcher drink with ease.
Spritz Veneziano Frequently Asked Questions
What does Select taste like?
Select is a Venetian spirit that is similar to Aperol in that they share the same mellow flavor, but Select has more complexity with notes of vanilla, citrus and a bit of bitterness.
When should you drink a Spritz Veneziano?
This drink can be enjoyed pre or post meal as it is considered an aperitif; an alcoholic beverage usually enjoyed pre or post meal to help stimulate digestion. Enjoy this cocktail before or after your favorite Italian meal, like this Gluten Free Cacio e Pepe!
Can I use Champagne Instead of Prosecco?
Since this is an Italian aperitif, I do not recommend subbing in Champagne for Prosecco. Plus, they have a different flavor profile and I do not think this spritz would be as good. You can, however make this into a lower ABV drink by using non-alcoholic Prosecco.
What if I can’t find Select near me?
I wasn’t able to find Select near me, so I ordered it online through this online liquor store. However, if you live in an area that does not allow ordering alcohol online or you’d prefer not to do so, you may substitute Aperol in for Select in this recipe.
If you are following a low FODMAP diet and want to learn more about which alcohol has been low fodmap approved, check out this low fodmap alcohol guide I created!
How to Make a Spritz Veneziano
There are just a few simple steps you need to take in order to make this crisp + refreshing cocktail!
Gather Your Ingredients
You will need:
- Select OR Aperol
- Tonic Water
- Orange Wheel for garnish
Steps for Making a Spritz Veneziano
Step 1: Add 2 oz Select to a large glass filled with ice
Step 2: Add 1-2 oz Tonic Water
Step 3: Top it off with Prosecco, about 3-4 oz
Spritz Veneziano Tested Substitutions
- Aperol will work as a replacement for Select.
- Soda water or sparkling water can be used in place of tonic water.
- If orange is not available, use lemon or lime as a garnish.
- You can also use green olives as garnish, as recommended on the bottle of Select.
What to Serve with Spritz Veneziano
- Gluten Free Cacio e Pepe
- Air Fryer Zucchini Italian Style
- Gluten Free Neapolitan Pizza
- Summer Tortellini Salad
- Cucumber Strawberry Salad
If you like this Spritz Veneziano You Might Like
Did you have a chance to make this recipe? If so, please leave me a rating and review below. I always love and appreciate hearing from you!
Spritz Veneziano (Aperol Spritz)
- 2 oz Select or Aperol
- 2 oz Tonic Water I use Pellegrino
- 3 oz Prosecco
- Orange Wheel garnish
- In a large wine glass over ice, add Select or Aperol, then top off with tonic water + Prosecco.
- Stir gently using a bar spoon + garnish with an orange wheel.