Air Fryer Zucchini is the perfect tasty, healthy(ish!) side dish for any meal. Lightly coated in crispy gluten free panko crumbs, salty Parmesan cheese + dusted with Italian herbs, they’re so easy to make + will have you reaching for seconds every time! Made with just a handful of pantry staple ingredients, making zucchini in the air fryer could not be simpler.
When you’re following the low FODMAP diet, finding side dishes that not only satisfy cravings but are super delicious can sometimes feel like the ultimate challenge. But not to worry, I’ve got you covered with this air fryer zucchini recipe that you can whip up in minutes with simple ingredients you likely already have in your pantry.
As someone who healed their SIBO and IBS through the low FODMAP diet, having healthy low FODMAP sides available and at the ready was always key. Meal prepping breakfast, lunch, dinner, sides and snacks helped take the guesswork out of what to eat and helped ensure that everything I was munching on was helping me move the needle one step closer to my goal of healing my gut. These zucchini fries are the perfect side dish for your favorite low FODMAP meals like this Paleo Chicken Marsala.
Please note this post contains affiliate links.
Air Fryer Zucchini Tips + Tricks
Gather Your Ingredients
This recipes uses:
- Gluten Free Panko Crumbs. I use gluten free panko crumbs when I make zucchini in the air fryer. This recipe will also work with regular panko crumbs if you are not in need of gluten free.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Zucchini
- Garlic Infused Olive Oil. I love using Fody’s Garlic Infused Olive Oil in all of my recipes. It’s easier than making it yourself + it’s so flavorful but also perfect for sensitive stomachs like mine!
- Red Pepper Flakes
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to pre-heat the airfryer?
You only need to pre-heat the airfryer if your specific model requires it. The air fryer that I use is amazing and does not need to be pre-heated, so it makes preparing food in the air fryer a snap!
How long does it take to air fry zucchini?
This recipe takes just 8 minutes per batch, however if you like your zucchini super crispy, you can air fry it up to 10 minutes.
What dip goes best with air fryer zucchini?
I prefer to enjoy this particular zucchini preparation with marinara sauce since I’ve added Italian seasonings to the batter.
Do I have to use Italian seasonings?
If you prefer, you may omit the oregano and crushed red pepper flakes from these zucchini fries and simply add a touch of salt + pepper. They’d be amazing with a creamy yogurt dip!
Is using egg necessary?
I tested this recipe using an avocado oil spray in place of the egg mixture + I did not love how it came out. Using egg helps bind the panko crumb mixture to the zucchini whereas using the oil spray only allowed just a few bits to adhere. If you have an egg allergy, I would recommend using something like Just Egg instead.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Zucchini
Pair these delicious zucchini fries with:
Did you have a chance to make this recipe? If so, please leave me a rating and review below. I always love and appreciate hearing from you!
Air Fryer Zucchini (Italian Style)
- Air Fryer
- 2 zucchini
- 1 cup gluten free panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
- Wash your zucchini and remove the stems. Slice in half lengthwise and then again widthwise, then again into matchsticks. Place on a plate or in a bowl + set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine panko crumbs, parmesan, oregano + crushed red pepper flakes.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat together eggs + garlic infused olive oil.
- Form an assembly line with the bowls starting with the zucchini, then the egg mixture, then the dry ingredient mixture, then an empty plate or tray.
- Dip zucchini sticks into the egg mixture, then dredge in the panko mixture. Place on the empty plate or tray and repeat the process with each zucchini stick.
- Lightly grease the tray of your air fryer + arrange zucchini fries on it. You will likely need to fry them in two batches, so be mindful not to crowd the air fryer basin.
- Fry at 400F for 8 minutes. Repeat with remaining zucchini fries.
- Serve with marinara sauce as an appetizer or alongside your favorite entree.
Leave a Reply