This Dirty Banana recipe is a Caribbean inspired mocktail and is the perfect refreshing treat for dessert, at a BBQ, or simply when you need a little taste of island life!
There’s nothing better than a refreshing drink on a hot summer’s day, especially when there’s no chance of a buzz involved! When the temps rise and you find yourself spending more time outdoors, poolside, at BBQs, or at the beach house for the weekend cocktails are sure to closely follow. But what do you do when you have fitness goals, lots planned the next day, or simply just don’t like being buzzed? You reach for a deliciously refreshing Dirty Banana mocktail + party on!
If you are following a low FODMAP diet, you might not know that there are some low FODMAP alcohol types, however rum is not one of them. That’s why I love using Ritual Zero Proof Rum Alternative to make mocktails that otherwise would require rum!
Low FODMAP Tip: If you would like to make this Mocktail into a low FODMAP friendly cocktail, simply swap the rum alternative for vodka for a refreshing summer cocktail that is low FODMAP friendly!
Highlights of this Recipe
This Recipe is:
- Alcohol Free
- Low Calorie
- Simple to make
Dirty Banana Tips, Tricks + Tested Substitutions
- Freeze the bananas. For a smoother, creamier drink use frozen bananas. If you really enjoy the flavor of banana, you may add an additional banana or use banana milk in addition to chocolate almond milk.
- Chocolate Almond Milk can be substituted in the following ways:
- 1/2 cup chocolate almond milk + 1/2 cup banana milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate almond milk + 1/2 cup coconut milk (use full fat)
- 1 cup banana milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup banana milk + 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Opt for cold brew coffee. Most grocery stores sell cold brew coffee these days. It’s usually found in the juice section. If you cannot find any near you, brew your coffee ahead of time + allow it to cool completely before making the Dirty Banana. Since it is a frozen drink, it won’t be quite as delicious if the coffee is hot!
What are the benefits of a spirit alternative?
- No hangovers. Need I say more?
- No buzz. This is my second favorite perk, after the no hangover part of course. Spirit alternatives are my favorite stand in for liquor in so many cases. This Dirty Banana is the perfect poolside drink on a hot day, but sometimes the hot sun + booze just don’t mix. Enjoying a refreshing mocktail helps you stay alert AND enjoy the party!
- Gentler on your body. With zero calories + real ingredients, spirit alternatives like Ritual Zero Proof are the perfect way to enjoy your favorite cocktails again well still being kind to your body.
- Gives you options. Out with friends but have a big day tomorrow? Celebrating but have to drive home? Had a few too many but the party’s still going? The list of options and reasons why you’d want to enjoy a mocktail, like this Dirty Banana, are practically endless.
Why you should make this Dirty Banana Mocktail
- It is simple! All you need to do ahead is freeze your bananas and brew a pot of coffee + allow it to cool if you do not have iced cold brew available.
- It is refreshing! A light + crisp drink the whole family can enjoy. Make it a pitcher recipe by increasing quantities by 4x or 6x to satisfy a crowd.
- You’d never know it was alcohol free! This is such a delicious and refreshing treat + you would never know it was booze-free, making it the perfect drink for moms to be, designated drivers, and anyone abstaining from alcohol.
Looking for meals to pair with this delicious Dirty Banana? Try this delicious Grilled Panzanella Salad for something fresh to start with or this recipe for Low FODMAP Pulled Pork for dinner!
Loved this Dirty Banana Mocktail?
Try these equally delicious mocktail recipes:
Did you have a chance to make this recipe? If so, please leave me a rating and review below. I always love and appreciate hearing from you!
Dirty Banana (Dairy Free, Mocktail)
- 1 cup cold coffee
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup chocolate almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup Ritual Zero Proof Rum Alternative
- Add all ingredients to a blender + blend until creamy.
- Garnish with whipped cream, cacao nibs + a cherry if desired.
- If you would like to keep sugar levels down, swap chocolate almond milk for coconut milk.
- Freezing the bananas helps keep this drink smooth and creamy.
I don’t think I would want to use rum alternative. Would you suggest I alter the other ingredient proportions as well?
Hi Malkah! If you’re going to use regular rum, you do not need to alter the other ingredient proportions, you can substitute it 1:1.