The best, chewy chocolate chip cookies are made with ingredients like gluten free flour, coconut sugar + monkfruit and are so decadent you’d never know they are gluten free and refined sugar free! If you’re following a low FODMAP diet, these are the perfect low FODMAP chocolate chip cookies for after the elimination phase has been completed.
When it comes to gluten free chocolate chip cookies, personally, I prefer them thick + chewy all the way! My husband on the other hand, generally prefers them thin + crispy. While this recipe isn’t exactly a hybrid between the two, they make my very particular husband drool which is exactly how I know they’re the best gluten free chocolate chip cookies around!
If you are someone who is following a low FODMAP diet, you’re likely feeling like you’re missing out on sweets + treats. While I don’t recommend over-indulging, especially when you are in the early stages of the low FODMAP diet, everyone needs options for treats now and then, and these low FODMAP chocolate chip cookies are IT!
As someone who successfully healed SIBO through the help of the low FODMAP diet, and as someone with a major sweet tooth, this was a recipe I kept on heavy rotation for those times I just NEEDED a gluten free chocolate chip cookie. I know you feel me!
Low FODMAP Tip: If you are following low FODMAP for SIBO, you are likely avoiding refined sugars. Stock your pantry with unrefined sugars like granulated monk fruit, coconut sugar, and powdered monk fruit sugar. These are the perfect 1 to 1 substitutes for white sugar, brown sugar, and powdered sugar. It’s important to note personal tolerances when choosing ingredients. If you are following low FODMAP for IBS, it should be noted that white cane sugar is actually low FODMAP friendly, so you can feel free to use that in place of monkfruit.
Tips + Tricks for the Best Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chill your dough. You do not want to skip the step of chilling your gluten free cookie dough. This is because the colder + more solid the butter is, the less chance you have of your cookies spreading. It also helps the cookies brown + almost caramelize and creates a thicker cookie, which makes for the best gluten free chocolate chip cookies!
- Roll cookie dough into balls. Using a cookie scoop, scoop out 1-2 scoops of cookie dough. Roll the scoops in the palm of your hand to form a nice uniform dough ball and place on lined baking sheet. This helps with creating perfectly shaped chocolate chip cookies that appear to be straight from the bakery!
- Don’t skip the extra egg yolk! If you love your chocolate chip cookies to be chewy, you will not want to skip out on adding the extra egg yolk. Ensure your eggs are at room temperature to allow for maximum fluffiness in your gluten free chocolate chip cookies.
Special Ingredients + Tested Substitutions
- Coconut Sugar: This is used as a lower glycemic substitute for refined brown sugar + can be substituted with brown sugar if it is something you tolerate + prefer.
- Monk Fruit Sweetener: This is used as a calorie free, keto-friendly sweetener that is an unrefined 1:1 substitute for white sugar in baking. White sugar can be used in its place if you tolerate + prefer.
- Vegan Butter: If you prefer dairy free gluten free chocolate chip cookies, you can use your favorite vegan butter in this recipe in place of butter. I find that Miyoko’s Creamery vegan butter works best.
- Eggs: I have tested this recipe using this vegan egg replacement, however the texture will change slightly. That being said, if you do not tolerate eggs or you are vegan it does work as an acceptable egg replacement. I have not tested this recipe using flax eggs.
- Chocolate Chips: Dark chocolate is my preferred chip of choice but you may use milk, white, or vegan chocolate chips if you prefer.
Why You Should Make These Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- They are easy. Chocolate chip cookies are simple to make + bake in a snap if you’re looking for a last minute low FODMAP dessert to share with friends and family or need to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- They make the perfect gluten free ice cream sandwiches. I simply cannot make gluten free chocolate chip cookies with out making at least one gluten free ice cream sandwich with the leftovers.
- They’re delicious! They’re chocolate chip cookies, need I say more?!
Storing Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
These low FODMAP cookies stay freshest longest when stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container or zip top bag up to 7 days (if you manage not to eat them all in the first few days!)
Did you have a chance to make this recipe? If so, please leave me a rating and review below. I always love and appreciate hearing from you!
Best Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/3 cup gluten free 1:1 flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup monk fruit
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda until fully combined.
- Beat butter, sugars, vanilla extract and salt until creamy in a stand mixer or with an electric hand mixer.
- Add eggs to mixer one at a time scraping the edges of the bowl to ensure all is well incorporated.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until fully incorporated.
- Add chocolate chips and fold in with a rubber spatula.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and refrigerate 2 hours up to overnight prior to baking.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 and scoop out cookies onto parchment lined baking sheet, leaving enough room in between to account for spreading.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
- Optional: sprinkle with sea salt just before serving.