Refined sugar free + easily made dairy free or vegan, this gluten free cookie dough buttercream frosting is the treat you didn’t know you needed!
Ingredients for Gluten Free Cookie Dough Buttercream Frosting
- Butter: You can use grass fed or vegan butter depending on your preferences. This recipe will work with both.
- Coconut Sugar
- Powdered Monk Fruit
- Gluten Free 1:1 Flour
- Almond Milk: You can swap this for other non-dairy milks, like oat milk, or use traditional dairy milk depending on your personal needs.
- Mini Chocolate Chips
Recipes to Enjoy Gluten Free Cookie Dough Buttercream with:
- One Bowl Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Gluten Free Double Chocolate Cake
- Paleo Low Carb Champagne Cupcakes (just leave out the champagne!)
Low FODMAP Tip: If you are following low FODMAP for SIBO, you are likely avoiding refined sugars. Stock your pantry with unrefined sugars like granulated monk fruit, coconut sugar, and powdered monk fruit sugar. These are the perfect 1 to 1 substitutes for white sugar, brown sugar, and powdered sugar.
Why You Should Heat Treat Flour
Honestly, heat treating flour was a new concept for me until I started doing more research on edible cookie dough. Turns out, flour can actually contain bacteria that can be harmful, which if you are someone dealing with SIBO or Candida is not going to be an ideal thing for you to eat.
Heat treating flour is very simple, takes just a few minutes, and is the best way to ensure that the gluten free cookie dough buttercream is safe + delicious.
How To Heat Treat Flour
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- On a baking sheet, add flour, in this case 1/2 cup, and bake 3-5 minutes in order to kill off any potential lingering bacteria in the flour.
You can read more in depth about heat treating flour and why it is important when eating raw ingredients in this article.
Spot The Swaps!: Here are some more delicious desserts that you can make low FODMAP friendly with a few simple swaps.
- Edible Brownie Batter by Cookie Dough Diaries: Simply swap the flour for gluten free 1:1, swap the white sugar for monk fruit, and the brown sugar for coconut sugar and you’ll have a gluten free, refined sugar free low FODMAP dessert!
- Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting by Gutsy Baker: OK, so this one is already low FODMAP, refined sugar free + vegan, but if you’re having trouble with digesting peanuts simply swap the peanut butter for your favorite nut butter. You can also use grass fed butter in lieu of vegan butter if you are not vegan/dairy free.
Gluten Free Cookie Dough Buttercream Frosting
- Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment
- Silicone Spatula
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup powdered monk fruit sugar
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 tbsp almond milk
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter, vanilla and coconut sugar until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Once the butter mixture is smooth + fluffy, gradually add in flour and mix, scraping down the edge of the bowl as needed.
- Begin adding almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Then, 1/4 cup at a time begin to add in powdered monkfruit sugar, beating on low speed to fully incorporate.
- Increase the mixer's speed to medium and continue to beat until frosting is light + airy, about 5 minutes.
- Using a silicone spatula, gently fold in mini chocolate chips to combine.